Sunday, December 30, 2018

You were never really here









Lynne Ramsay’s You were never really here was by far the best of the new films I saw in the last year, unless you consider the Other Side of the Wind a new film, which it may well be, though not entirely new to me.  Ramsay doesn’t get to make many films, though she’s better qualified to do so than all but two or three people now working. You were never really here is her fourth feature in twenty years.  I watched it twice in rapid succession and will likely watch it a third time very soon.  I especially appreciated Judith Robert’s presence as Joe’s mom.  (One may recall her as the beautiful neighbor in Lynch’s Eraserhead, dissolving in a milky pool as she kisses Jack Nance’s Henry.)  Here she serves as the everyday crazed normalcy to which Joe clings.  As for the film’s view of contemporary American politics: it strikes me that it couldn’t be more apt. 













No comments:

Post a Comment