Monday, November 5, 2018

Neo Expressionist Paintings







When I painted these pictures in 1985 I was strongly affected by seeing some of Georg Baselitz’s paintings, especially the early ones from the mid 1960s that juxtapose seemingly torn but related images from different planes integrated by surface treatment, paint handling and a broken illusionism. I liked what he was doing when he was the age I was then and did my best to learn from them.  I hope what I was doing was better than merely a cheap imitation.  It certainly led me to other areas of investigation that I thoroughly enjoyed.  These are all painted in oils on gessoed canvas.  They were none of them publicly exhibited. In each case half the picture was painted very slowly and the other half very fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment