Thursday, January 21, 2021

The Interruption of Dreams, volume 2

Chapter 1,  L'Année dernière à Marienbad

 



The setting of this morning’s dream was the drawing room of a gentlemen’s club, though on waking I realized it was actually the game room of the chateau in Resnais’ masterpiece, perhaps Schloss Nymphenburg in Bavaria.  I was playing cards with two other gentlemen and doing rather well.  The game was Black Jack or Twenty one.  

 


For some reason unknown to me, a man at another table did all he could do to distract me, cracking jokes and making ugly faces.  When I could take no more of his attempts to interrupt me, I looked directly at this joker and clearly but silently mouthed the words go fuck yourself.  Whereupon he brought forth his smartphone from the inside pocket of his Armani tuxedo and called Security, or possibly the Police, in order to have me removed from this exclusive club. 

 


It was then I realized that his antipathy stemmed from my attachment to a young man whose name he could either not remember or, when he could recall it, he mispronounced (deliberately or not I could not say).  Something I was unable to fully remember had occurred a year or so before between this young man and myself that caused us to no longer see each other, which filled me with grief for many months following our separation.  Before the authorities could have me removed I woke, removing myself.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment