Saturday, November 14, 2015

Jack Smith


 November 14, 1932 - September 25, 1989




I’m more interested in enjoying Jack Smith’s work than I am in celebrating his short time as a media celebrity, but today would have been his eighty third birthday and these photographs, by some of his friends and others of whom he was less fond, give one some sense of the circles in which he traveled and a little of what his social life was in his heyday.  It just struck me while I was selecting and preparing these pictures for this post that Jack was almost exactly the age that I am now (fifty seven and fast approaching fifty eight) when he died, which makes me appreciate all the more how much he was able to achieve in that space of time, and causes me to value the time (which I have every hope may be extensive) that I have left.













No comments:

Post a Comment