Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Study for a Mural on a Garden Fence

Dale Wittig 
San Francisco CA 
October 2016 
Art Saves Lives Gallery




A few years ago I was approached about the possibility of designing and painting a mural on the long fence along the sidewalk at the Small Free Inn on 23rd St at Shotwell in the Mission District.  I was given several suggestions, among which were the themes of the garden itself and, perhaps, flying figures.  I chose to depict Mexica (or Aztec) Gods and their Post Columbian counterparts, the Catholic Saints and the popular Luchadores (such as Drago and, the appropriately named, El Santo,) as well as flying nuns, both from the popular 60s TV series with Sally Field set in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and the sequences from Harmony Korine’s Mister Lonely set in Bocas del Toro, Panama.  The garden that I took as my primary model, however, belongs to my friend,Tamar Schumann, in Vermont.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment