Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Richard Serra, 2 November 1938 – 26 March 2024

Serra died yesterday; 85 years old.  Hard to think of a more original or influential sculptor in the last fifty years.  Not my favorite, but I walked by Tilted Arc on my way home from work most days for a few months 35 years ago.  Got to know it well; and knew the two brothers Serra paid to keep it free from graffiti and other vandalism.  Funny, I was just thinking about it the other day, the day before he died. Prompted by a David Rimanelli post.  Reread Gary Indiana's Debby with Monument piece in the Village Voice. Made fun of Serra for getting so upset about his work being destroyed. Artists are funny that way. 








Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed walking around it.  Knew enough people who knew him, though we never met.  Did see him in the back room at Gagosian maybe twelve years ago.  Right before he walked up the stairs.  Looked right at me like he recognized me, held my gaze then walked away.  I wasn't about to try to start a conversation from across the room.  Besides, it was a Saturday.





RIP.  May his name be a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment