Friday, August 26, 2011

The End Of The City



These are some photos I shot six years ago (if I remember correctly) following the Indian Ocean Tsunami of 2004 and the Banlieue Riots of 2005. They were the sources for some very fine large scale charcoal and colored ink drawings on mulberry paper, which I showed at Max Fish in April 2006. The little origami towers are meant to represent cities by the water and Rogelio, Thin Mar Oo and I are intended as giants menacing them. We were supposed to represent the forces of Nature taking our revenge on a wasteful mankind.

I suppose that I'm showing them now because of the Hurricane which is rushing up the East Coast of the United States, causing millions of Americans to be evacuated. I rather like a good hurricane. Goodnight, Irene, Goodnight, Irene; I'll See You In My Dreams.








No comments:

Post a Comment