Monday, October 31, 2011

Los Hombres De Las Revistas



These photos represent the results of a kind of excavation, which took place in a corner of my room about a year or so ago. I prepared them for a gallery on another site and found them promptly rejected as I did not provide proof of permission for their presentation. I felt that since I rephotographed each one and considerably altered their compositions and exposures through the use of various photo editing tools that they were now my images. Perhaps this is not the case (but tell that to Richard Prince and Sherrie Levine as well.) What all of these pictures have in common, other than their original purpose of arousal, is the ethnicity of those depicted. They are all so called Latin Americans: some are Mexicans, some Mexican Americans, one is a lone Colombian American, and one I'm not sure of. There can be no question that these models are all much different in person now from the ghosts of their youthful selves pictured here.








These next three photos are adaptations of a few of my favorite images by Bob Mizer, the savant behind Physique Pictorial and The Athletic Models Guild. The first is of "Ernie" and the other two are of the magnificent Rod Garetto. Note the treatment of the sky, mountains and trees in the backdrops, and the strategic use of astroturf and green naugahyde. It is all so beautifully fake.




More Rod here, but from a video (and a rather cheesy one at that) rather than a magazine, though I felt they belonged here. It's how I like to think of him, sometimes, perpetually bound for my pleasure.



No comments:

Post a Comment