Sunday, November 19, 2017

Twelve Photos by Aaron Cobbett

New York City 
circa 2005 - 2017

1.Eli as Robin Hood   

2.Puma Black as a Warrior   

3.Chase Hostler as an Acrobat   

4.He-Man: Master of the Universe

5.Brian Tillman as Skeletor   


6 &7.Brian Tillman   

8.in the Den   

9.Monroe Stevens   

10.Red Phone off the Hook   


11 & 12.AB Soto

Aaron Cobbett used to have a blog that he kept up regularly for many years called Pink & Wrinkly.  I first learned of it through Gengoroh Tagame’s recommendation, followed it closely and kept a file of the photos that I enjoyed, which were numerous.  I forget… it may have gotten hacked…  in any case, he started a new one called Rose et Ridé and I continued accumulating these images.  A friend of mine, another artist interested in this sort of photography didn’t share my enthusiasm for Cobbett’s work.  He pointed out how derivative it was, especially of Jim Bidgood’s delirious efforts, only slicker and more commercial.  I responded that Bidgood was certainly more original and wonderfully eccentric, but that he had stopped working long ago and Cobbett’s models represented a far wider range of ethnicities.  Cobbett also had his own particular peculiarities, fetishes and obsessions, and I couldn’t help feeling very strongly drawn to some of his models, especially as he costumed and shot them (especially Eli.)  Unfortunately his posting petered out and he got rid of those blogs; and my files were destroyed thanks to a ransom virus.  It took a lot of effort to find even a few of my old favorites, but some of his new work is almost as good.  I especially like this fellow called AB Soto.  A couple of the videos that Cobbett has designed and directed for him are worth watching, the best being Cha Cha Bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment