Friday, July 1, 2011

Gregg Woolard's Work



While the photograph immediately above was neither made by Gregg Woolard, nor was intended by its maker to represent him in any way, when I saw it I thought of him, and saved it for him, and knew that I wanted to include it as a kind of present to him in this post when I finally got around to constructing it. Everything else that I've included in this particular blog entry, however, is the work of Gregg Woolard. I've enjoyed Gregg's work for over twenty years now, and will no doubt continue to enjoy it for as long as it is within my power to do so (that is: as long as I have the gift of sight.) This is the first part of a two part post. This one represents what I initially thought of as Gregg's Style. Of course I was aware of other currents in his work not represented here; but, given what I have pictures of, these works seem to me to be quintessentially Woolardian. I wish I had pictures of his decor for Max Fish, which has been an ongoing collaboration with Uli Rimkus and a slew of other artists; but I don't believe it would be unfair to credit Gregg with being the Arbiter Elegantiae of that establishment. Much of the woodwork, the very counter of the bar itself, is of his design. The very first piece of his that I was shown by Harry Druzd 22 years ago was a column made of variously coloured disks, stacked from floor to ceiling. I believe that remnants of that piece are still there, perhaps hidden by a popcorn machine or a ladder. Layers have accrued. Everything at Max Fish has become more cluttered and complex. As you will see in the subsequent post, so has Mr. Woolard's work.













No comments:

Post a Comment