Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Final Portrait of Faith Wittig

Dale Wittig 
Beverly Hills Florida, 
Mansfield Connecticut 
& San Francisco California 
July - September 2017




The last portrait photos, for which I was able to persuade my mother to pose, that were taken shortly before my departure for my home in San Francisco, and the other photos, which were consciously or not taken in the spirit of those pictures, made around the time of her final birthday while thinking of her (and her possible imminent demise,) seem the best tribute to her that I can place here now.  I offer no further explanation than the fact that the shawl she wears was a gift from me purchased in San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, twenty five years earlier, and the line I quoted from Guy Debord’s Society of the Spectacle in some rose paintings made around that same time: the greatness of art only begins to appear at the dusk of life.
















No comments:

Post a Comment