Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations' Millennium General Assembly

Washington DC 1950 - 1964
James Hampton 1909 - 1964







James Hampton secretively built a throne for God in a rented garage in DC over a period of nearly fifteen years.  He did have some photographs of himself taken with his great life’s work and wearing one of his very serious crowns.  Very little information regarding his life is given out as far as I can find.  I once impressed an art scholar at a very drunken party by knowing of Hampton’s Throne.  I must thank him for that point and for all his intricate work.  I’m no believer, but his throne could also work rather well for the deities I worship.  I dare say he was influenced by some of the altars he encountered while stationed in the South Pacific during the Second World War.







I forgot to acknowledge that Hampton made it all out of found detritus: metallic foil, cardboard, junk furniture, light bulbs, et al.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment