Friday, April 15, 2011

New Langton Holiday Paintings 1997


In 1996 I was invited to participate in the Holiday Gift Sale at New Langton Arts, for many years the most prominent alternative art space in San Francisco (until its dissolution last year.) I was again invited the following year, and these are the paintings I made for them. I was thinking about Courbet at the time, hence the portrait of the young master with his famous quote: "I am indeed the most arrogant man in the world," coupled with paintings which refer to his most celebrated work: L'Origine du Monde (The Origin of the World.) My close-up of Rod Garetto's bound genitals bore the text: "It's not the end of the world." I know they didn't sell well at the time, but I managed to get rid of nearly all of them eventually.





No comments:

Post a Comment