Thursday, April 7, 2011

Some Drawings On Japanese Paper


There are two countries whose cultures, both popular and high, I return to continually to ransack for images for use in my art. Those places are Mexico and Japan. It should not be so surprising, then, that many of my closest friends are Mexican or Japanese; but where I have been to Mexico many times and traveled over most of its varied terrain, I've never set foot within the boundaries of Japan. Of course, Mexico is nearby and Japan is distant and expensive; and I am Cheap. It may be that I was fascinated at an early age by the spoils of war (though, fortunately, no trophy skulls) with which my father returned to Connecticut in 1946. No doubt the Japanese films I saw, as an impressionable boy at the Saturday Afternoon Matinee, Godzilla, Mothra, and King Kong, left their mark. In any case, here is a jumble of Japanese themed drawings on Japanese Paper for your viewing pleasure.





No comments:

Post a Comment